Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Missionaries


 So for Family Home evening a couple of weeks ago we talked all about Missionaries. We talked about why people go on missions and how wonderful it is. Kyle told the kids why he went on a mission and then bore his testimony in Spanish.
I had a "mission call" for Carson and for Brynnley. They were so excited to open their calls and see where they were going.
 We also talked about Grandma and Grandpa Randall on their mission and what they were doing. We also drew pictures to send to Grandma and Grandpa Randall on their mission for our activity. Brynnley drew a rainbow with her and Grandma Randall. Carson drew Africa with the "roots" as he said and a picture of Grandma and Grandpa Randall. They were also wearing shirts with Carson on them!

  Recently Elder Holland visited my parents on their mission and viewed the Sierra Leon mission. It was a wonderful experience for my parents, one that they have said they would never forget.



Here is a few snippets from my moms journal about the week they were able to spend with all of the General Authorities that visited their mission.

"Scott and I parked at the top also and Scott got out to help everyone know where to go.  At the top of the hill Elder Holland put his arm around Scott’s waist and held on while they both walked down the hill and to the door of the mission home.  It was a wise move, because the hill is steep and there are small rocks on the road, which could be very slippery.  Elder Holland expressed appreciation to Scott and put his hand up on his cheek gently.  It was a very sweet and special moment."  "We were helping Elder Holland and Elder Snow with the password for the mission Internet, so they could check their Blackberries.  We had a very comfortable visit with them for about 15 minutes.  They asked about our background and it came out that we had served two previous missions.  Elder Holland said, “Well, that sacrifice has assured you your salvation.  Do you remember the story of the young men who carried the handcart pioneers across the Sweetwater River?  Well I think that story has application here.”  I was overwhelmed with gratitude for such a sweet validation of our desire to serve missions as well as the service of all of the senior missionaries around the world.  I will remember and cherish it always.  Elder Snow said, “What an example you are setting for your grandchildren.”  I told them that our oldest grandson was almost 14 and that the rest of our grandchildren were still quite young, but it was such a special moment, that I will not forget. "

"What a beautiful, inspiring day!  Tears came to my eyes as I saw those beautiful African women dressed in their very best, singing “As Sisters in Zion.”  The thought that came to me was how grateful I was to have been called to Sierra Leone and how grateful I was to my children for allowing me to have this wonderful experience by supporting us on our mission.  As I hugged each of those African women, I told them how much I loved them and how blessed I felt.  I hugged each of the sisters who spoke to us and they each were gracious in gratitude.  Sister Holland thanked me for being here every day to teach the sisters.   Words cannot describe what a spiritually uplifting day it has been."

The last picture is one that Carson drew in Priamry. The Sunday before our FHE lesson they also talked about Missionaries in church. He came home with this picture so I asked him what was in the picture. He said it was a picture of him and Cohen (his best friend) as missionaries. They were teaching all of the people. When I asked who the guy in the purple was he said "Oh that is Justin Bieber bringing us some Ice cream!" Love all of it!


1 comment:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Oh, this post brought the tears! So proud of you for doing such an amazing Family Home Evening! What wonderful teachings you are giving your children. It is true what Elder Holland said at Conference last October. By serving missions, all of us who have served say to our children and grandchildren, "In this family we serve missions." I'll be watching for Justin Bieber to come wearing purple and bearing ice cream--do you think he would come to Sierra Leone?