Well McKay and I are happy to report, we are done and finished! Not sure who is happier, Me or McKay.
I was pretty anxious to see the results of the third week. However at the end of the second realized that my hopes of him walking out to the car at the end of our three weeks were quickly diminishing. They pushed him VERY hard the third week. I think they were trying as hard as they could to get him as close to his goals as possible. Our main goals going in were standing and walking.
Our hopes of him walking were not met but I feel like McKay is closer than ever. I have been texting our old Physical therapist through out this whole process because she wanted to know how it was going. I texted her one day frustrated and disappointed. She said " He may not be ready but I think if I were in your shoes it would help me relax knowing we had given him every opportunity to learn how to stand and walk." I was very comforted by her words. I think we have officially done everything we can for McKay, it is now up to him. I knew going into this intense therapy that there was a very good chance we would not get the results we wanted. Mainly because I know how McKay develops with gross motor, everything takes him so long to master. Just getting from army crawling to regular crawling was 6-9 months. He finally mastered crawling up the stairs just a few months ago.
I am positive McKay will walk. I just don't know when that will be. But I do know it will be up to him and it will be his decision. We will still work on all of his home exercises and getting him to do his walker more. But we will wait patiently for him to be ready. Until then I will continue to improve my arm muscles with carrying the hefty boy.
In the end I am happy we did Now I can physical therapy. It was incredibly rough and especially on McKay. He was so sore, so cranky and not himself for 3 weeks. I know it was one of the hardest things he has ever done. I still feel bad for the amount of tears he had. It was hard on our family. We were constantly on fast mode every morning and Brynn was shuttled around a lot.
They said they wanted to see us back in 6 months. Hmmmmm. We will do Now I can again, I'm just not sure if in six months. It depends on a lot of different things.
But for now I am glad we are done with it and I am very happy with McKay's strength and confidence. He stands a lot taller than he did, he has started to cruise gaps, and is constantly doing tall kneels.
I appreciate all of the help, concern, and love we felt while McKay was in therapy. I was constantly being asked or sent text messages checking on how we were doing and how McKay was. Almost daily I would hear from someone that he was in their prayers. I know McKay is a special spirit and I know he is constantly surrounded by love from others through prayers. What a lucky little boy!
3 comments:
Your physical therapist was inspired to say the things she did. I believe you were inspired to put McKay in the therapy. Somewhere deep inside him, he knows "I can do hard things!" That is what parents teach all the time. We want our children to know that they can do hard things. Oh, guess what! I am a successful parent! You too, know, "I can do hard things!" We are so blessed!
Thanks forsharing. I cred the whole way thru your post. I cant imagine the emotional rollercoaster you have been on. Keep up the good work... I know it takes so long to get from one milestone to the next... It is frustrating. Mackay is so strong!!
Hillary
Glad you two got through it. We'll pray for McKay
Post a Comment