Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sedation, hospital trips and surgery

It was a VERY busy summer for McKay and trips to Primary's. It always seems like his things go in spurts of lots of appointments and not so many. We started off with a majorly failed sleep study in May. It was pretty horrific. McKay was so miserable and so upset he couldn't get to sleep. he kept pulling everything off that they put on him. At one point I was out in the hallway just saying a prayer that he would go to sleep. He also ripped the nasal cannula into two pieces, they said they had never seen anyone do that. So we were sent home at about 2 am with no data from the test. I HATE sleep studies and I HATE sleep apnea!

In June he had a sedated ABR hearing test. He had not passed his hearing test for the last 6 months and they said it was time to get a better listen. He has always had a lot of ear wax so we tried cleaning them out but still no luck. So they sedated him and gave him the hearing test. He kind of passed, he had a few things that did not come out where they should. So they said we needed to get in an in depth cleaning and then repeat the test in 2 months. (Awesome another sedation!) This sedation trip they gave him the drug versed to help calm him down and he had a majorly bad reaction when he woke up. Think devil child times 2. It was a pretty horrific scene, the nurse didn't know what to do, and Kyle had never seen him like that. We had to wait it out and just got him out of there as quickly as we could. Luckily I talked to the nurse and found out what to do for next time so it doesn't happen again!!!
On our 10 year anniversary we spent it at Primary's with McKay! He had a sedated eye exam, eye surgery to fix crossing, a airway scope, and they checked and cleaned his ears as well. The surgery went well, but he looked pretty bad after he woke up.

It definitely took him a while to really recover after the surgery. He was pretty out of it and pretty angry and threw up quite a bit. His eyes looked so horrific, just full of blood. It hurt my eyes to look at them. We were a little disappointed when we went back in for his surgery check up and his left eye was still crossing. So he will continue to wear the glasses and if it gets worse he will have to do surgery again.
In August he had the second sedated ABR hearing test and passed! Yeah! I was so relieved we did not have to add hearing adds to his list of medical care concerns!
In September he had all of his sedated tests for the year. He had a full brain MRI, spine MRI, abdominal ultrasound, and an echo of his heart. It was a REALLY long sedation (over 2 1/2 hours). But luckily he recovered pretty well. With the longer sedation his oxygen always bounces around more and he always throws up on the way home in the car. (Throw up in the car seat one of my least favorite things ever!) We were happy to hear that ALL of his test came back unchanged. For McKay right now that is the best news we can have. There are still problems there, but if they stay how they are they will not require surgery!
It was pretty draining on all of us, I just really hate any time he has to be sedated. I hate the worry and the fear of something going wrong. But most of all I hate that I can't explain to McKay what is going on and that it will be okay. I wish I could just explain what is happening and why we are doing this so he wouldn't have to be so anxious and scared about it.

No comments: