Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Wayster McKayster's

Look who can sit up!!!! I am beyond excited about this!!! It is only for about 20 to 30 seconds, but it is huge huge improvement and something I did not think he would be doing for a few more months. McKay has made leaps and bounds in the last month.

He is doing very well with his sitting. He gets a little stronger each time we try. He still prefers to be laying on his back or rolling around. He does well sitting until he has to turn to look or look up and his big noggin makes him loose his balance. He will sit in his corner chair for about 45 minutes which is also a big improvement for him. His physical therapist is so happy with his progress as well. She said it will be a while before he really masters sitting though. (sitting and just playing with toys for an extended period of time). Because he is going to have to learn how to compensate for his large head and figure out how to put his arms out to catch him from falling. A few other things he has mastered this month:
*clapping his hands
*rolling around like crazy. He can go from room to room and it is definitely his prefer mode of transportation.
*getting more vocal. He still isn't making a lot of different sounds but he is starting to use his voice more.
*reaching and looking for toys that he has dropped
*pivoting while on his stomach, only on the tile so far though.

On the medical side of things he is doing pretty good right now. We have escaped the hospital since November, knock on the biggest piece of wood known to man. I can say that hibernation has been working wonderfully so far. Although I have realized a few things about hibernating as well:
*I have zero desire to do my hair and put on makeup, I rarely leave the house except to take Carson to school.
*We use a lot more lotion, I wash my hands so much my hands crack and bleed.
*I do about twice as much laundry. Everyone changes their clothes into clean clothes if they have been out among people.
*We watch a lot more TV, when you can't go anywhere it kind of happens.
But I can say without a doubt that we have not been back to the hospital because of hibernating and synagis (RSV shot). I have a love hate relationship with Synagis, I have been on the phone more worrying about it than all of my medical NICU problems combined. But I am grateful for it and that McKay is able to receive it.

Our pediatrician has been concerned about McKay's chest size still. Starting in December he had us go in every two weeks to do a breathing check. They checked his oxygen level, looked at his chest retractions and noted how fast he was breathing. I would like to say his numbers have improved but they have not, they have decreased a little each time. We are waiting for our appointment with the orthopedic surgeon to see what he has to say about it and if anything needs to be done. Besides the orthopedic surgeon McKay also has his 1 year check up and the Neurologist in the next couple of weeks. A full doctor load as usual. Oh, he also had his head checked this week to make sure he didn't need a helmet. Thankfully he did not. Just what I need is one more worry and one more specialist to see, so I am very grateful it was a no go on the helmet.

5 comments:

T Fowler said...

That is so wonderful! Good job, McKay.

Gayle J. Randall said...

So happy to hear about (and see) McKay's progress. We are proud of you, McKay!

Michelle Kelly said...

How exciting, he looks adorable!

Lyns said...

How exciting! He is so so cute!

Natalie & Chase Gustman said...

he is so cute! im glad he is doing so good! I chose dr mumford for Macks pediatrition and I love him!!! Thanks for telling me about him, he really is so nice!