McKay has been seeing an Ophthalmologist for about a year. They mainly have been checking his optic nerves. Because his head is so large and he is at really high risk for hydrocephalus sometimes there can be pressure on the optic nerves. But each time we go in they have said his nerves have looked great. About 6 or 7 months ago we did notice that one of McKay's eyes was starting to cross in. When I went to the eye doctor he didn't see it until I really pushed to look at it and he noticed it at the end. He said he wanted to see him back in 3 months. So we went to his 3 month follow up a few weeks ago. He started by saying "I think we need to get him some glasses." Um, nope this has never been mentioned before and was a little bit of a suprise. He said he is very very farsighted and it is getting worse each time he comes in. His hope is that putting him in glasses will make it easier for him to focus more easily, thus making it so his eye that is still turning in will help correct itself. His eye is still turning in and it has gotten worse, the eye doctor noticed it first thing this time. He is not positive that the glasses will in fact fix they eye that is turning in but he wants to try it first. We will go back in about 3 months and he will see if has helped the eye that is turning in. If it has not he will then have to have surgery on that eye.
We didn't get too much of a choice when it came to glasses. I of course first went to the super cute trendy black frames. The lady at the eye store said I really had 2 choices for his first pair. She said he would rip them off, try and bend and break them, and the lens's have to be big enough he doesn't just look above or below the lens. So we went ahead and got him fitted and a couple of weeks later picked them up.
It went pretty well the first few days and has gotten a little worse with time. But we are going to keep on working on it, we are still doing it in shifts so he doesn't get too angry about them. Thank heavens there really isn't a way to break them because he has bent them in every way possible.
I think he looks so cute, so old but so cute. I am going to miss seeing his beautiful shining eyes so easily. But I think they will help him immensely!
2 comments:
Can a two-year-old look distinguished? Well, I think he does! What a handsome little man, and Happy Birthday to you!
He is so handsome!!! I love the glasses!!
Post a Comment