Monday, May 13, 2013

McKay's new ride

So I literally have been working on getting McKay a wheelchair for 9 months, yep that's as long as it takes to make a baby!! I had no idea what I was getting into and how involved it would be to try and get a wheelchair. But we are so happy it is here! We are still trying to figure out the best way to use it and how to maximize it use. They accidentally ordered the wrong handles for me to push it with, so currently I have to hunch over to push it from one handle. I think it will be a lot better once we have the two handles! McKay is loving his new ride though, he is trying to adjust as well to his new ride. He doesn't have as much room as he did in his stroller, but it is a lot better for his posture because it makes him sit up. Which is better for the Kyphosis in his back. I am a little sad as well that they didn't order all of the correct colors for the chair, we were suppose to have gray parts as well. But honestly I had a lot of problems getting the wheelchair and working with the Medical Equipment company, so it isn't a big deal.
We took it into our Peds office for an appointment the day after we got it and they all "ohhh" and "awwed" over it. His favorite nurse told him not to go speeding and not to "pop" any wheelies.
I will say McKay definitely gets a lot more attention in it. Most of which is good, lots of people give him a big smile and comment on how cute the chair is and how adorable McKay is. Then there are those that just stare with a "what is wrong with him?" look on their face. I try not to notice those stares as much.
We are happy to finally have it and to put it to good use!

1 comment:

Gayle J. Randall said...

He IS adorable and his new ride is smart and snappy! Love it!