I really wanted to do something to give back to the NICU. It was a part of our lives for almost 2 months. Once you have a NICU baby you kind of join the NICU group. It is really hard to describe to anyone all the feelings of having to go through it unless you have experienced it yourself.
I asked all of our family if they wanted to chip in on our Christmas service project. Every single person in both of our families donated to our cause. It meant so much to me that everyone wanted to have a part in this.

I really wanted to buy a book for each of the babies/families that were in the NICU. While we were in the NICU we use to read to McKay. It was one way we could bond with him. We really were not allowed to hold him a lot, and in the beginning not at all. I knew that if he could hear our voices he would feel the love from us. I wanted to get the board book "You are Special". I think it is a perfect book for all of those families. It talks about how we are all different, all have different marks or problems, but we are all loved and special.


My sister came over and helped me put ribbons on all of them and then Kyle and I took them to the NICU. We were talking about how we can't believe it has been almost a year since that experience. While we were walking into the doors of the hospital it all came rushing back to us. They were so excited to have the books to give to the babies/families. They put a stocking together of various things for each baby who is there during Christmas so the books were going in those.
It felt really good to give back to a place that is very important to us. I am thankful for everyone who helped and donated to the cause.
8 comments:
Great Idea Valerie, it will mean more then you might think , I am sure and then you do probably know how much it will mean "Great Job". Love DAD
I think we should do some sort of service project every year. While we were tying on ribbons, I realized I hadn't done much in the way of Christmas service with my kids. Let's start thinking of ideas for next year.
The books were a great idea!
It was a really good idea. I'm sure all of those families will love it.
Your darling, I have to agree Warren was born at 32 weeks and I still know every single one of his nurses, that was 5 years ago.
Great idea! This will be the start of something big. I agree with Tresa. It would be wonderful to plan something every year. I'm happy to help. Thanks for getting all of us involved.
What a great expression of charity and Christmas.
That's so thoughtful and a GREAT idea. I can't imagine being in the hospital with a little one over the holidays! And what a perfect book...love it! ;)
I'm a friend of a friend, i check in once every blue moon (i have met you a few times though).
I am in tears right now. We had a NICU baby and its so true when you say you cannot describe the feeling you go through.
We know from experience how hard it is to not have your baby home from an extended period of time.
I think what you have done for these families is incedrible! I'm sure they were so overwhelmed with your kidness, surely something that is going to be "paid forward"
Post a Comment