After receiving our diagnosis we were lucky enough to have a Geneticist appointment up at Primary Children's' the following week. It didn't go quite like I imagined, but the big appointments rarely do. Our geneticist didn't really want to confirm the diagnosis, he still doesn't seem totally sold. McKay does not fit the syndrome one hundred percent, so I think that is why he is questioning it. Kyle and I both feel good about the diagnosis though. The geneticist was however concerned about a few other things. He was worried about his overall proportions so he ordered a full skeletal x ray, over 27 individual x rays. McKay hated it and screamed, cried, and was covered in sweat through the whole thing. The doctor wanted to check his hips, how his skull looked, and his overall bone structure. We did find out he has hip dysplasia, so they sent us to Shriners for that (more on that later). He also conferred with neurosurgeons at Primary Childrens about the skull X ray and his previous MRI to see when we need to do another MRI. So far the consensus is to do another one in January when he is 2. They also did a bunch of blood work but did not find anything there. He was also concerned about how sick he had been (finally someone else was as worried as I was). So he is sending us to Pulmonary to see what they think about his lungs and why he is getting so sick. I am very hopeful to get some answers from this appoitment.
We also are still going to try and see the geneticist in Seattle who diagnosed him. We feel like it might be helpful and beneficial. He has a really long waiting list, so we will see when we can get in to see him.
We have a very very full month in August with Doctor's appointments. I think within a month we are up to 6 appointments, 3 of which are up at Primary's. We also decided to switch Neurologists, I found a lady in Utah who has a son who has the sister syndrome of what McKay has. We are switching to the Neurologist that she uses, hopefully he will be more familiar with the syndrome and will be able to help us.
In very good news McKay has been doing awesome developmentally. He has finally started saying some constants. We have been waiting for this for a really long time and have been working on it for a long time to. He can now say Da da, Ba ba, Ta Ta, and Ga Ga. I love hearing his little voice and trying to get him to talk to me. It is a great milestone! He has also started with a speech therapist as well (Our therapist count is now up to 4! With one of them coming twice a month, that's 5 therapy appointments a month.)
He also has started army crawling, and he is moving! He doesn't roll any more and just army crawls to get anywhere. He is officially mobile. He loves to crawl to his favorite ball pop toy and to the fridge. His new fascination is with the stairs. His physical therapist has been working on getting him to go up and down. He has lost interest in going up, I think it's a lot of hard work, but is getting better at sliding down with assistance.
Thanks to all of you who ask how he is doing, we appreciate all of the love and concern!
4 comments:
I can see so much progress in the past couple of months! He's doing so well! We are so proud! He's becoming more social and I love to have him "talk" to me. Heavenly Father is showering down blessings of encouragement right now. We'll take all of them with gratitude.
We just love this little guy, he is such a joy and a light in our family. I can tell he is really trying hard to talk and move.
Love the new haircut. Love McKay.
Love him and his amazing family. Thanks Val for the update.
Post a Comment