Thursday, August 9, 2012

Olympics London 2012

 So I have been super excited for the Olympics for about 2 years. I love the Olympics! I love watching the opening ceremonies and watching what creative and interesting things they come up with. I love watching most of the sports. I love the comrodorie of all of the countries and the compettivie spirit. I wanted to try and make it into a special thing for my kids so they could see how awesome the Olympics are.
The last Olympics (Winter of 2010) were literally right when McKay was born and in the NICU. It was a miserable time and honestly I don't remember watching a single sport. I do remember coming home one evening from being at the NICU and Kyle asking if I wanted to watch. All I wanted to do was cry and go to bed. 
 So since the Olympics were in London I thought it would be fun to have a British meal for dinner before the opening ceremonies. I went out on a limb and made Shepherd's pie. It turned out really good and was delish! My kids of course screamed and cried when they saw it, but I knew that would happen. We also had salad and french country bread. Kelli made Lemon Merinuge pie for dessert. We ate our British meal and then watched the opening cermeonys. The kids lasted about 20 minutes and then got bored. They did like the part with all the kids on the beds and Captain Hook and Voldermort.
We have been watching the Olympics every day since then. I will say I think Carson is enjoying them even more than me. He has started to learn some of the swimmer's and runner's names and asks when they are racing. We have let him stay up a few nights and watch with us. Every morning when he wakes up it is the first thing he turns on by himself. He watches what he missed the previous night. He said his favorite is Ryan Lochte. He is also excited to watch the running relay's. It has been a wonderful Olympics and I have enjoyed watching them so much. I am happy to see the Olympic spirit in Carson too. I mentioned to him that he could do swimming races like Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte and he said he really wants to try swim team next year!

1 comment:

Gayle J. Randall said...

You know how to make everything fun! What a good mother you are! I love shepherd's pie! I would have loved to have been there for your Olympic meal!