So I will admit we have been incredibly lucky when it comes to hospital stay's with McKay. It could be so so so much worse. Somehow he has escaped being admitted due to sickness since he was about 6 months old. Literally a miracle in itself. He has had a few admissions for surgeries, quite a few ER runs in there, and numerous hospital visits for suctioning, chest x ray and labs while sick. So I assumed this time with McKay would be the same. I know McKay well, and I know when he is sick even better. He started with a cough on New Years Eve. I knew it wasn't just a cough and would quickly take a turn for the worst. The second day of his cough it started to sound barky and he started with a fever. I took him into our doctor on Wednesday and he said he for sure had a bad case of croup. So they gave him a shot of steroids and said to call if his fever got worse or it was in his chest. On Thursday he was okay in the morning, but in the afternoon when he woke up from his nap I could not get him calmed down and he was working really hard to breath. Thankfully I have an oximeter at home so I could check his oxygen. It wasn't great, but wasn't awful. I called after hours but they said they couldn't get me in for a couple of hours. We contemplated just running him to Primary's but we gave him 10 more minutes to see if he could calm down. He did calm down and his oxygen came up a little. I decided to still take him into after hours to see if I could just get him another shot of steroids. But the doctor was concerned that he was worse after already reiceiving a shot of steroids. He wanted to give him a breathing treatment and then see how he was. He wasn't any better after the breathing treatment so he said "I really think you need to go to the hospital." I will admit I was a little surprised. The times that I go to the doctor and I think they are going to send us to the hospital they don't, the times I don't think they will they always do. Just proving why I am not a doctor.
We headed up to Primary's (Our ped told us to only go to Primary's with any problems) They checked us in and then started the night with tests, breathing treatments, medications, doctor's, x rays, and an IV. By the time we got everything done and were able to got to sleep it was 1:30 in the morning!
They ran a virus panel, I was sure it would come back with the flu since that is what Kyle and I were currently dealing with. But they said it came back with RSV, awesome! They also did a chest and neck x ray. The good news was he did not yet have pneumonia, the bad news was his airway was so swollen from the croup they were worried it would completely close off!
Total we were in the hospital for 2 nights and three days. I am really glad we were there. His oxygen was horrible at night and in the 80's and 70's. You are suppose to be in the high 90's. His fevers were pretty brutal too and a little hard to get control of. I also was sick as a dog while we were there, I was majorly battling the flu and have not felt that sick in a while. So I was actually glad we were there at night so the nurse's could take care of him. I literally was unable to get up out of the bed a few times at night.
McKay was so happy they had smoothie's on the menu, he ate one for most meals. Smoothies and applesauce. I will say they have an amazing room service menu at Primary's. I ordered a few things for me to try and eat something and because I didn't want to leave McKay alone.
See the red cheeks from the fever... Thank heavens for the I Pad and the bubble guppies. It literally was a lifesaver!
McKay was nice enough to receive a balloon from one his "medically fragile" facebook friends. It was so nice of them to send it to us, we haven't even ever met them in person.
McKay was so incredibly happy to be home. We had to keep an extra close eye on him. But luckily we have so much medical equipment at our house it is easy to keep a good watch on him. He did end up getting Pneumonia after we got home, and his cough has been taking a really long time to get over. He also had a weekend of crazy high fevers and not great oxygen numbers. But we have managed to keep him from having to go back to the hospital. It has been a really really bad winter in Utah this year. I am a little terrified for what the rest of the winter will bring for us. I hope and pray that there are not a lot more hospital visits this winter for us.
Thank you for all of those who helped out with kids, carpool, and meals and those that called or sent text messages. We are for sure one loved family and we couldn't survive all of this with out our family and friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment