Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Together we fit

 As I have mentioned before McKay has been attending Preschool through the Alpine School districit and has been going to an Autism preschool class. McKay was diagnosed as being Autistic  a little while ago. Although it really is is secondary diagnosis and he does not fit the Autisum diagnosis 100 percent. But we felt like this would be the best place for him school wise and it most defeintely has been. He has an amazing teacher who adores him and really pushes him. He also goes to an amazing school where the principal is nothing but helpful and amazing with this preschool class.
The teacher notified us that the Principal had asked her to put on an Autism awareness assembly for the school since the month of April is Autism awareness month.
 The teacher and the aides had made these adorable shirts for all of the kids and had mad posters to hang up around the school.
 Kelli came with me to the assembly and it was such a good assembly. I was first surprised when we got there to hear McKay announced as the Gator of the month for the school! He received an award from the principal and got to go up by the alligator. To say I was a proud Mom would be an understatement!
 His teacher put on an amazing assembly with a really cute video to start with. It was such a great video and incredibly emotional. All of the parents and the Grandparents in the back were bawling with tears running down our face. His teacher did a great job educating the othere students about what the Austisitc kids have to deal with and how the regular students can be their friends.
It was so fun to go to his school and see him participate in the assembly. He got a little upset when he saw me in the back and he couldn't figure out why I was there and why I wasn't coming to get him.

I am so proud of McKay. It was a very rewarding day for me and it felt so amazing to see him up there. We are so lucky that he has been blessed with an amazing teacher and that he finally "fits" somewhere!

No comments: