Friday, October 17, 2008

It's what we call a cellulite/staph infection...

I took Carson and Brynnley in to get their flu shots on Tuesday (a big thanks to my mom for her help too! Still not up to a ton after surgery...). Carson of course screamed and cried, but Brynnley got a super sad face and then decided she was fine.
On Wednesday night I was putting Carson pajamas on him and I looked at his leg that he had had the shot in and it looked swollen to me. But I tend to worry and Kyle says I am a hypocondratic so I had Kyle come up and look. He confirmed my suspicions that it was indeed VERY swollen. Usually you can see his little muscular legs, but it was thigh and kneew were swollen, you could not even see his knee cap. After many after hours doctor calls and a doctors appointment the next day, the Doctor determined it was a cellulitis infection, probably staph. It was probably on his skin and then got pushed down in when they gave him the shot. His whole leg down to the bottom of his knee swelled up. It also got very red and blotchy and the infected area was very hot.


The doctor drew a pen mark around the red area and we are suppose to watch to make sure it doesn't get worse. It did get a little worse last night but looks way better this morning.
Luckily it didn't seem to bother him too much. He was limping on it a little and said it was hurting him a little bit but that is all. He got a new toy out of it because I felt so bad for him so I am pretty sure he was just excited about that.
We are glad that he is doing better and that it looks better. I know Kyle and I both freaked out a little because it looked so incredibly bad, but the doctor said it should get better and we shouldn't have to amputate!

3 comments:

Angela said...

Oh! That's so sad! Poor Carson. How scary for you guys. I am a hypocondriac also! I have been putting of getting everyone's flu shots this year, but now I'm Really not looking forward to it!! I hope he gets to feeling better soon. It's so sad when your child is sick, you just wish you could take it all away for them. :(

Michelle Kelly said...

how scary!! I didn't notice anything today at family pictures, so it must be getting better. He was running all over the place with mom.

Lyns said...

I seriously can't believe that happened. So weird! Yes, us moms are paranoid, but sometimes we really do know what we're talking about! I'm so glad it's doing better now.