Wanted:
A great happy mom to potty train my 3 1/2 year old son who should be old enough to not wear a diaper. Mom is tired of buying diapers and does not want to take diapers to Disneyworld, or put her son in Primary in a diaper. Desperately seeking any advice at all!
8 comments:
um, I have no potty training advise because I have never done it. So find out then you can let me know when I am ready. I got the same jury duty notice, but requested not to because I am breastfeeding and it is a giant pain to leave my child. I am hoping they will think that is a good enough excuse to get out of it. I am fairly sure the experience would give me an ulcer. Well I am super jealous about the Jazz tickets. I love to go to Jazz games. (I am pretty sure I still owe you 50 cents.k)
I'm not sure what you've tried, but here's a couple of things we tried. We bought something they really wanted (I think with Brent it was a whole pack of 20 Hot Wheels cars) and told him he could have them when he had gone for two weeks without an accident during the day. I think it only took two weeks. What worked with Eric was that he wanted to big like his brother, so I just let Brent talk to him about how big boys go to the bathroom. Worked like a charm. I'm not sure how you would do that since Carson is the oldest, but maybe Jarom? Or Kyle? Somebody he wants to be like. You can also try setting a timer and making them go every half-hour, whether they have to or not. You can then gradually increase the time. Good luck! I hope some of these help. Maybe somebody else has some more innovative ideas. My kids were potty trained pretty easily. Lucky for me!
I really don't have any great advice, except to hang in there. It will all click one day and everything will fall into place. I've tried everything aunt Kaye suggested and they worked with both my boys. With Enoch, we made a big deal about buying Thomas Train underwear and kept his potty toys (really cool PLay-Doh set)on top of the fridge and he could play with them every time he went. With Gavin, toys and bribes didn't work. I finally took him to a preschool class and told him that he could go there as soon as he was potty-trained. It only took a few days after that. It's mostly about control, give Carson as much control as you dare and maybe back off for a few weeks and see if that make any difference. Good Luck and if nothing else works, you can always try in Cheerio in the potty trick!
Oh, the woes of the potty-training mother! I am not the one to give advise, since that was a very large mountain for us to cross! But amazingly Megan is actually doing really well with it now. A friend of mine told me that she thinks the whole idea of pull-ups is a hoax, they're either in diapers or underwear. So what I did was wait until a week or two when I didn't have much going on (so that we could just be home and have lots of accidents) and I just started putting her in big-girl panties and stopped using diapers and pull-ups. It didn't take long for her to realize that she hated the mess and she started using the potty. But every kid is different! Best of luck and let me know how it goes!! :) Oh also I just remembered there are lots of great articles on babycenter.com about potty training ideas.
So I tried to let Kylee pick out a toy and panties and candy and all that so she could have it when she went potty. She could care less. What really worked was persistance. It took me a week of going absolutly insane but eventually it worked. No joke... it just clicks one day. I got a jar of jelly beans and a basket of books and kept them in the bathroom and a stool for me to sit on. Every half hour we went in and sat. Most of the time it was a fight. I swear every time i took her off she wet her pants. Towards the end if she had an accident and I knew it was due to laziness.. i hate to admit this... I sprayed her with cold water in the shower and told her I had to clean it off when she went on herself. It worked. No matter how little they go on the potty make a huge deal! My sister did "potty train your child in a day" book and so did a few others in my ward. They liked it and they had boys. GOOD LUCK.... oh yeah, if you want to give up after a couple days call me and I will try to pump you back up cause it just makes it that much harder the next time you try... i know from experience!
oh yeah, my friend said she hid the diapers and just told her little boy that he was too old and they didnt make diapers for 3 1/2 year olds and pointed out all the friends in undies! it worked for her.
I just finished with Alita and I'm going to start with Luke next week. I agree with the no pull ups. Alita would go in them anytime I put them on her. Some advice though, if you have to go out and your afraid of accidents put a pull up on OVER his underwear. That way he still feels it but it is less of a mess to clean up. We do that if Alita will not go potty before church. Also I had threatened the shower with Alita and it helped. With Luke, I'm going to let him watch his favorite movie every time he uses the potty. I'm so glad you did this post. I got some new ideas!
BUSY week but SO MUCH fun... especially for the kids!! Your kids will love halloween and remember all these fun memories. I LOVE Carson's PEACE sign along with David. ha ha Carson looks so BAD :) And their little costumes... OHHHHH so cute!!! Little Brynnley is getting huge, I really want to see her soon!
Post a Comment