Friday, January 22, 2010

Goodbye our friend Mankie...

So the time has come, we had to say good bye to "Mankie" yesterday. Brynnley had a dentist appointment yesterday and he said her sucking on her blanket is affecting her bite. He showed me how she is developing an overbite. Not cool, so he said the sooner we could get rid of it the better. He thought the problem might fix itself if we can get rid of it.
Brynnley LOVES her "Mankie", I didn't realize until about a year ago that she sucked on a blanket to get to sleep. She never was really one for the binki. She slowly got to where she only wanted one blanket and that was the only one she would suck on to sleep. (Gross, don't worry I know! I washed it weekly but after a few days always smelled!) It was a blanket my mom gave her when she was born. It has super silky edges and that is what she loves!
So last night after the dentist we went and bought a new (non-silky) Princess blanket! It of course was very exciting until we got into her room for bedtime. Poor girl cried for her "Manket" for close to 2 hours last night. Kyle was able to finally get her to sleep after a long night. I went in to get her this morning and the first thing she said was "where's Manket?" Poor girl. Naps went a little better and she only cried for it for 45 minutes. It's a good thing to get rid of it I think, and good timing. I will be too tired in a few weeks to attempt it. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.
So goodbye our dear friend "mankie, manket..." We will greatly miss you.

Just in case we have you stashed inside a bag inside mom and dad's closet!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

so sad! I hope it goes well for ya!

T Fowler said...

That is so hard! I'm dreading getting rid of Kate's binky. They is just no reasoning with a toddler who has had their comfort item taken away.

Gayle J. Randall said...

I knew when I bought "Mankie" (I didn't know Mankie's name then) that babies love silky things to hold. Unfortunately I had no idea it would be a dental problem. Good to get it taken care of now. Perhaps when she outgrows the sucking thing she will love it again later. I know someone who loved their "blankie" and slept with it until it was basically rags. ;) Love, Grandma Randall

Lyns said...

So sad! It is so hard to take comfort items away. It was difficult with Ava and I felt like a horrible mother, but definitely the best choice. By the way, that is the exact same blanky as Ava's. She doesn't suck on hers though. :)

Heather said...

oh that made my heart hurt, poor thing. I have been lucky enough our kids are not attached to things cause i would be too soft and give in!
thanks for the birthday wishes, they will have really good looking kids thats for sure!

Lisa Riddle said...

Oh man I feel your pain. Jake loved his binky and when we took it away it was awful (for him and mom and dad). It took about 2 weeks before he was back to normal and fine without it so just hang in there!

Quinn said...

There it is!! That was to funny she found Peyton's I am sorry for that!