We have had another full month of Dr appointments, with therapies and shot appointments we will be at about 8 appointments in a month!
McKay's big appointments this month were with the Neurologist and the Orthopedic Surgeon.
The Neurologist went very well, the doctor was very happy that he was sitting up and doing as many things as he could (i.e. clapping, transferring objects, getting snacks to his mouth). The only bad thing was his head has grown 2 centimeters in 3 months. His head is now the size of 6 year old! Yikes, I know! I didn't believe him when he told me so when we got home I measured Carson's and Brynnley's head. McKay's is 2-3 centimeters bigger than both of theirs. Both the Neurologist and our Pediatrician are a little concerned about when it is going to slow down and start evening out. But there really is nothing we can do about it. We went over his previous MRI with him as well, Kyle had never seen the images. We also talked to him about the possibility of seizures. We weren't really aware but he is at pretty high risk for seizures. So it was good to find out what to do, what to be watching for, and the high risk windows. Overall it was a very good appointment.
He also had an appointment with his Orthopedic Surgeon. They did 3 x rays of his back while we were there to check for Scoliosis. He currently does not have scoliosis! So that is a big relief, they are still going to monitor him for it though. The doctor was concerned with how hunched over he is when sitting (His back curves over, Kyphosis), but is hopeful that once he gets more strength in his core that will go away. He did also measure his chest since there has been concern that it is small. It is the size of a newborn chest. I couldn't believe it when he said it was that small, I asked him twice to make sure I heard correctly.
So yes to confirm he has the head size of a 6 year old and the chest size of a newborn.
The doctor asked how his breathing was and if he had a lot of Pneumonia. We told him no, but he has been quarantined for 3/4 of his life so that may have helped with the sickness. He said the usual "Let's keep an eye on it and wait and see." So I am not really sure what that means for the future, or what will happen with that. (The doctor is a little hard to read with not the best bedside manner.)
I do want to thank everyone who has kept McKay and our family in their thoughts and prayers. I am constantly having people tell me they are still praying for him. We received a literal "miracle" a couple of weeks ago and I know it was becasue of all of the people who have been praying for us and McKay. We received a medical grant to help cover a large portion of his synagis shots. I am very grateful he has been able to receive these shots becasue I know they have kept him out of the hospital. However when we started receiving them we did not know how expensive they would be. So I worked really hard on finding as much help as possible. I found a medical grant for kids that could be used for various medical reasons. I applied knowing that my chances were very slim. When we received the letter stating we got it I was so excited I was screaming at the top of my lungs and crying tears of joy. It is a huge blessing to receive help with these shots.
Thank you to all of you who constantly think of him, ask how he is doing, and have him in your prayers. We truly can feel love from all over the world for him.
3 comments:
We are so glad he is doing so well! And so glad you received the grant! That's got to be a relief!
He is so darn cute!
I am one of those that likes to read about your updates. It's good to hear some good news! That grand is amazing!!! Love ya!
Wow, congratulations on the grant! What a blessing. We'll keep praying for McKay. We're excited to see you next month!
Post a Comment