Friday, September 4, 2009

The Legend of the Marv 'n joe...


So most of you know that Kyle and I met up at Utah State. We both loved it up there and it was a fabulous college town! In the student center at Utah State they have a small eatery called the hub. It is just a bunch of small fast food type restaurants where you can grab a quick meal. Well while I was there one day eating I was introduced by some of my interior design friends to the Marv 'n joe. At first I thought it looked a little funny but I decided to give it a try. It basically was heaven melting inside of my mouth! They only serve it there in the Hub at Utah State. It is at a little bakery called Hazels.
Well I am constantly wishing that I could have a marv 'n Joe, but usually it doesn't win the battle of taking the 2 hour drive up there just for a tasty treat. But for some reason every time with out fail that I am pregnant I crave them so badly. There are days when that is all I can think about! (Sad I know!) Trust me, we have both tried numerous times to recreate this tasty creation. We have come close but still it is not the same as I remember.
Oddly enough too, the day after we found out we were pregnant with this little baby Kyle was flying home from a trip and he was sitting next to some people from Utah State. He got to talking to them and the maker of the Marv 'n Joe was sitting next to him. When Kyle started to tell me the story I got incredibly excited, I thought "He's done it, he knows the secret!!". But alas, Kyle tried to sound desperate and told him that all I wanted was a Marv 'n Joe. But no luck, he said he could not give out the secret!
Above is the version I made the other day. I had yummy bread from Kneaders and fresh garden tomatoes from our friends (thanks again Smiths, you don't know how much I love fresh tomatoes!), so I decided to make one. This one was a little bit closer. But still not the same. I am determined to get up there this pregnancy and get my Marv 'n Joe!!!

5 comments:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Looks so yummy! Who knew those years ago at Utah State that a Marv 'n' Joe would become a pregnancy craving?!? If anyone can figure out how to make it, you can! Good luck!

Heidi said...

2 years at USU and I didn't know about this little treasure. I'll have to try it out next time I'm up there (and bring you one back, too).

Lyns said...

What a weird little dish! :) I want to try it though. I LOVE tomatoes.

Heather said...

I have had three sisters live up there and NO one has mentioned such a thing... we must try sometime soon! Thanks again for coming tonight... you guys are way to nice to our crazy family! THANKS

Unknown said...

Looks really good from Nairobi, Kenya-but they might have something like that here-just to much traffic to get to. LOVE DAD