
Last week Carson came down with a cough. He had no other sick symptoms just a random cough. A few days later McKay got the same cough, he also didn't really have any other symptoms (a slight fever for a couple of days but that's it). I tried not to freak out when he got sick, but deep down inside I was freaking out because I wasn't sure how his little fragile body would take it. This was the first time since the NICU he had been sick. We are EXTRA careful and cautious about everything.
By Saturday morning his cough was really bad, he was breathing hard, and his lungs were retracting quite a bit. I took him into our pediatric after hours, they tested his oxygen and he was down in the 70's & 80"s. They immediately put him on oxygen and sent us to be admitted to the hospital. They spent the next few hours giving him breathing treatments and steroids. They did a chest x-ray to make sure it wasn't Pneumonia and kept him on the oxygen. Luckily he did not have Pneumonia. They also suctioned out his nose every 3 hours to get as much junk out of his lungs as possible.
We were there for 3 days total. The test came back that he had 2 serious virus's (Rhinovirus and Parainfluenza B). One that is pretty much identical to RSV. Luckily we were able to get him off the oxygen before we came home. Kyle and I were pretty anxious to get him home. So that things could get back to normal and we could take care of him. We got released but still have to go to the hospital 4 times a day to have him suctioned.
As usual McKay was a trooper. All the nurses LOVED him!!! On Saturday and Sunday he was the only patient on the whole floor so he had a lot of attention. Luckily we were able to get it to work out so I could stay there with him all the time. Kyle came when he could as well. A big thank you to Kyle's parents for AGAIN filling in at a moments notice and being the best Grandparents ever!!!
He still is not at 100% and is still pretty sick. I think it will be a pretty slow recovery. But we are glad to have him home with us. I did voice my concern to the doctor that we were in the hospital and it was the start of summer. He was a little concerned and surprised as well. We are homebound for another few weeks with McKay. We are all pretty concerned about what this means for the Fall and Winter as well. We are told he should grow out of some of this and his lungs being so fragile, but not until he is about 2. So most likely we will be housebound for A WHILE!!! Especially during the Fall and Winter. Not fun, but much better than the hospital!!!
8 comments:
Val! I'm so sorry! We're praying for your family and especially little McKay! Poor little man!!
We are praying for the little guys and hope he is doing better.
WOW! You are a trooper! It is odd to have those during the summer...I hope he heals quickly and life goes back to "normal" for you! Love reading your blog, it's so fun to follow someone else who's new with 3! :)
Poor little dude. We are here for you. I feel like we have been horrible friends/neighbors. Please let us know if you need anything. You are a trooper.
Hang in there, McKay! He is such a tough little guy. Keeping you in our prayers.
We continue to pray for you, McKay! Be strong and of good courage! All I could think when I saw his pictures was, "Wow! What beautiful blue eyes." That blue hospital gown really made them show up! Sorry, I need to be more sympathetic, but it's hard when you have such a cute little grandson.
Grandpa Hubbard told me McKay was in the hospital, and we've been praying for you guys. Keep the faith! McKay sure is a miracle.
Poor baby, hope he gets better quickly. He sure is a cute little thing even sick in the hospital.
Post a Comment