Friday, June 4, 2010

4 months old

Where did the last 4 months go!!! I feel like time is flying by and is just rushing right past me. I can't believe McKay is 4 months old (about 2 1/2 months by due date)
He is such a good baby! He is a good eater. Especially good considering where he was at with the feeding tube when we left the NICU. Still a little on the slow side, but just means we have to allow more time for chow time.
He is a REALLY good sleeper. Probably the best out of all 3 of my kids. He still sleeps quite a bit and takes really good long naps. He also recently this week started sleeping through the night. I'm not sure it will stick but I am amazed!!! Brynnley and Carson were about 8 months before they started sleeping through the night.
He is very content and happy. He is not a baby that has to be held all the time. He loves being on his play mat and starring and batting at his "friends/toys".
He doesn't love tummy time but I'm pretty sure that is because he still can't lift his head up at all. Poor little guy. I think he wants to roll so bad too. He will get going and get his lower half rolled over and gets so mad and frustrated.
He loves his Daddy and his brother. His face immediately goes to Carson whenever he is around. He also calms down as soon as Kyle holds him, he always knows what position is best.
I spend my time giving him as many kisses as I can. I know he won't stay little for very long!

His check up went well. The doctor was very happy with where he is at. They are still keeping an eye on the usual things. But he felt like he was doing really well. He even said he was catching up developmentally faster than he thought he would given his prematurity.
Both our doctor and our Geneticist where concerned about his head size in the past month. It has grown quite a bit. So they decided to order an Ultrasound of his brain. We had it done today and they check his fluid levels and the size of his brain. We were happy to hear that everything looked good. He did have some fluid but not an excessive amount, not enough to require a shunt. He said his brain looked good and looked about like a 2-3 month old. He did say he thought we should have an MRI done. We actually already have one scheduled for August (this is the 4th doctor to tell us we need to get an MRI done) It will be a much better indicator of everything that is going on and will hopefully lead us to a few more answers and in the right direction of things.

We are very happy with the way things are going. We are so happy with each small little milestone he hits. We are very happy with our doctors and that they are staying on top of everything and being extra cautious since he is high risk for so many different things. We are so happy with little McKay in our home. He brings so much love, gratitude and happiness!

Stats at 4 months (they measure everything according to a normal 4 month old, so the numbers are not adjusted for his prematurity)

Head size: over 100% (they don't give you percentiles after 100) Our doctor said his head size is the size of the average 16 month old.
Weight: 14.33 lbs 35%
Height: 24.25 inches 22%

6 comments:

Lyns said...

He is SOOOOOO cute! He just has the sweetest face ever. I'm so glad things are going well and I hope and pray that you continue to get surprisingly good news as time goes on. Mckay is so lucky to be in your little family and it sounds like you guys are so lucky to have him! I can't wait to meet him!

T Fowler said...

That is a great picture of McKay. His blue eyes are so cute. Glad to hear everything is going well and we pray for more good news in the future.

Michelle Kelly said...

Thanks for the update, i only get to hear everything from your blog. I love the picture it is adorable!!

The Blackham3 said...

OH HOW I LOVE THIS LITTLE MAN!!!!! He looks so good Val! You are doing such a good job. I miss you and Mckay! LOVE the blog!

Whitney Parry said...

He is beautiful Val! I'm so glad he is doing so well. I got a little taste of a baby in the NICU. My little nephew was there for a few weeks. He is home now and doing great. Babies have a special strength.

Unknown said...

A little late, but glad things have been going well for our Grandson. He is very lucky to have such great parents and family to support him. Look forward to being home with him.

Grandpa Randall