Sunday, May 24, 2009

Yes, I am going to call it the worst week ever.

So as I have mentioned before we are currently doing all of the food for the Oquirh hills temple located at Daybreak in Riverton Utah. They currently are having all of the state dignitaries, Apostles and families, and VIP's going through the temple, the month of May. These people are getting more than just the 800,000 cookies. They are actually getting food. Some salads, some sandwiches and most mini pastries. Well their number were kind of small until last week. They started to get bigger and then Kyle found out about a week ago they would need to feed 7,000 people in one day. (Saturday) So needless to say, this week has been awful. Kyle has been working super crazy hours. He usually wakes up around 3 and then we are lucky if we saw him before 7 at night. He left Thursday morning at 2 am to head to work and he was not home to our house until about 7 pm on Saturday night. They had to make 14,000 mini pastries for Saturday. I went in to help on Saturday (I feel bad I can't help more, but it's hard to find babysitters and I have mooched off of a lot of people for help!) But luckily I was able to go help. It was pure and utter chaos. Our pastry chef was actually incredibly organized and calm. It was just the sheer volume! There were pastries being made every where. We couldn't seem to keep caught up either. As soon as we would finish the batch for one of the deliveries we had to start on the next. They took deliverers over to the temple ever 2 hours. My station was fruit tarts. I am pretty sure I will NEVER eat one again. I have no idea how many I made, it was well over 3,000. Luckily they had some volunteers (a huge thank you to all of those that helped, HUGE thank you!) They finished pretty close to on time though too! I am so mad I forgot my camera, but there was not even time to take any breaks at all anyways!
It was a really tough week on all of us. Kyle was beyond tired, Carson asked all the time where Daddy was, and I had a breakdown on Friday night (I REALLY missed my husband, and was having a hard time being a single mom). But if we can survive this week (it is bad as last week, but not as bad as last Saturday) all we will have to worry about is cookies! There was one huge positive about this week. Kyle was actually able to meet and talk with the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. He came right over to him and talked to him for just a couple of minutes. It was a great experience for Kyle and he said some amazing things to him. Something that Kyle and our family will never forget.
I mostly put this post on for my own benefit. Someday I will forget how awful this week was, how badly my hands hurt from piping Vanilla cream into tart shells, how many hours my husband worked in one week, and I will forget the sight of 14,000 pastries being made!

9 comments:

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T Fowler said...

Sorry, I left the comment above; I didn't realize I was logged in under Gavin's name. I know people say to take it one day at a time, but some days we have to take it one hour at a time. Hang in there!

Angela said...

Oh my word!! Valerie, that is insane! I can't believe you guys are making that much food. Seriously, I would have been at break-down point much sooner! I hate it when Ryan works long hours, too. That is really, really cool that Kyle got to meet President Monson!! What a great experience for him. Hey, did I tell you? Ryan got a job in Salt Lake!! We're moving back this summer!!!!!!!

Hang in there, girl!! :)

Quinn said...

If I could ever help in any way let me know. I would love to watch the kids, Caleb would LOVE to play with Carson and we are not to far out of the way!! Hang in there!
Kelli

Gayle J. Randall said...

It surely was a labor of love (and continues to be) for all involved. Remember what Mormon says: "And it came to pass . . ." I'm proud of all of you!

Michelle Kelly said...

It will all be worth it!! I often have breakdowns when Dave has to study and is in class all the time and we don't get to see each other. But life moves on and there is always something better tomorrow.

Arin said...

Can I help you at all?? Please let me know if I can..the kids are welcome any time!! Hang in there...blessings...blessings!!

Lyns said...

First of all, how awesome that Kyle got to meet the prophet! Second of all, I wish I wasn't out of commission that day and could have helped you! That is insane. This is definitely a summer that you guys will talk about the rest of your lives! Thank goodness your back to "just" cookies.

Unknown said...

That is so awesome that you get to do that! I read a post above and was so confused on why it was so special to you! Now I get it :) This temple is in our Temple District so I got to work in the Temple on Monday and Bryce and I work again in about a month! :)