Sunday, February 7, 2010

Update

I have a friend who had her baby at about 33 weeks, and I called her while I was still in the hospital with McKay for advice and NICU knowledge. One thing she encouraged me to do was to journal how he was doing. One for journal purposes, but also because things change daily (which couldn't be more true!) and the doctors tell you so much information. So here are the small updates day by day.

Sunday January 31st-We found out today that McKay has Pneumonia. I admit I was not thrilled to hear this and tears came again. I just feel like there is always something, and it usually is not good news. The doctors had actually already started him on antibiotics when he was born, so they think after the full 7 day dose he should be okay. They also put him under the lights because his biliruben was high. Still on the ventilator, there are times when it is doing all the breathing for him. It was a little hard to see him today.

Monday February 1st-1st time for me to be back to the hospital by myself. I admit it was kind of nice to just spend some "Mommy and me" time with the little guy. I even got my very first smile today. I am sure it was gas, but I would like to think it was because I was there.

Tuesday February 2nd- They switched McKay to a different ventilator today. It is not quite as gentle as the other ventilator but it opens up his lungs a little better. They are hoping that will help air them out and it will help with the Pneumonia. His blood pressure is still not stabilized and is still on very high doses of Dopamine. They still have not been able to feed him my milk.

Wednesday February 3rd-Great news! I was at the hospital waiting for Kyle to get out of surgery (he had to have his ankle scoped from the bus accident on his mission. Even thought it is one more thing, we thought this would be the best time. They took out some scar tissue, bone spur, and a bone fragment. But surgery went well.) While I was waiting I got the call from the doctor, she said that McKay had been ext-abated last night! No more ventilator! I was so happy and tears came again! They had increased his hydrocortizone the day before and were convinced that helped a lot! He also was completely off of his blood pressure medication! His jaundice was down and only has one more day of lights. They are going to start feeding him to day too! All of his chromosome test came back normal as well! It was a really good day and he has made huge strides just over night. I am convinced it is because when I went to see him late last night he had a curious George blanket. Curious George has always been good to our family! Kyle was also elated to hear the news!

Thursday February 4th-Still on C-Pap, which is what people who have sleep apnea use. It basically gives you air through a thing that goes over your nose. They tried just a nasal cannula for a while, but it wasn't opening his lungs as much as they wanted. It was just so nice to see him with out a huge tube down his mouth!

Saturday February 6th-Kyle and I went to go see him together today, when we walked in he had no breathing assistance at all! He was fully breathing room air. He only had a small tube that goes down his nose for his feedings. They also removed the line from his belly button/umbilical line. He is also off the lights for his biliruben. They have finished "gut priming" him and he is now onto regular feedings. He is eating about 1/2 ounce and keeping it all down. Today was a really big day because we finally got to hold him!!! It was amazing! I did not want to put him back! The doctor did tell us today that even though the geneticist evaluated him and all of his chromosome tests came back normal they are suggesting we take him to a pediatric neurologist when he is 3-6 months. Just to make sure all of the kind of small odd things are not connected.

Sunday February 7th-They told us from the beginning they are pretty aggressive about getting them to breath on their own. They went a little too fast. They decided today to put him back on C Pap. He was having periods where he was struggling with his breathing a little bit. They also did an x-ray this morning and it was still a little hazy. They don't think he will be back on that though for very long. They have also almost doubled his feedings!

5 comments:

Cami said...

Thats a great idea about keeping a day to day journal. Glad he is doing well.

Michelle Kelly said...

What a great idea to journal about day to day. Everyone gets to know all the updates. I pray for the little guy and know he will be just fine.

Unknown said...

what a great idea! you're in our thoughts and prayers! this pictures of you holding him are so so precious!

Gayle J. Randall said...

We love the daily journal idea! So smart! You'll want to know all these things and if you don't write them down, one day blends into the next and you can't remember them. We're still praying for him. He's making progress! We love you, little McKay Jordan Ford!

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

This just makes me cry! I'm at 31 weeks and maybe a little emotional, but so sad his first little weeks are so laborious for him. So glad you have great dr's and nurses to look after him and that he is doing well...HF must be looking over him and all those prayers must be working! What a great mom you are to be doing so much...you look fantastic! Keep us posted! :)