Thursday, February 4, 2010

The birth story

***REALLY long post, skim if you want. It's more for journal purposes!

It all kind of started at my 20 week ultrasound. When I did the ultrasound the technician told us that our baby was measuring 2 weeks big. My doctor decided not to change my dates though because I felt pretty sure on my end of my date, and the ultrasound they had done at 10 weeks was right on. The earlier an ultrasound the more accurate it is.
I continued to measure about 2 weeks big until I was about 28 weeks and it jumped to 4 weeks big. The doctor said he wanted to keep an eye on it. I went in for my appointment for 33 weeks and was measuring 5 weeks big. My doctor decided to do an ultrasound to really see how big the baby was. He said he thought it was a lot of fluid. Well it was both. I had A LOT of fluid, and the baby was actually measuring between 39-40 weeks. So after meeting with the doctor after the ultrasound I felt like I should have him check me because I had been having some contractions. He agreed to check me but neither of us thought anything was going on. Wrong, I was already dilated to a 2! So he immediately gave me some steroid shots and put me on bed rest. Bed rest was going to be the death of me and I wasn't even on it that long. It was driving me crazy to be so reliant on so many different people. Plus I hated seeing small things all around the house that I could do but really shouldn't. Two days later on Wednesday the 27th I decided to call the doctor. I had some pretty strong contractions the past two nights, but they usually went away when I woke up in the morning. I went in and luckily Kyle was able to go with me. He rushed home from worked and said he wanted to change from food/Kneaders clothes. I told him "It's not a big deal, it's not like we are going to the hospital or anything." One doctor appointment later, I am dilated to a 7 and 70% effaced. Sadly my doctor had to send me to Utah Valley hospital. American Fork hospital will not deliver anyone before 34 weeks, they only have a level 2 NICU. So he made a bunch of calls and Kyle and I tried to wrap our heads around what was happening. My doctor felt really bad but he was not going to be able to deliver this baby. He did not have privileges at Utah Valley. He delivered my other 2 and I love him as a OB. He said good bye and gave me a hug and the tears started to ensue. We got out to the car and Kyle sped on down to Orem, the tears just kept coming. I just kept thinking, "How is this happening to us? We are not the people who have early babies?" Then I realized that I had not grabbed my hospital bag (luckily I had packed it the night before) and I realized I had no camera. More tears. Then I also realized I had not gotten to see or hug the kids goodbye. Lots more tears. My AMAZING husband tried to calm me down and kept reassuring me it would be okay. We got to the hospital and could not figure out where to park. Kyle ran in to ask, he must have told the two little old desk ladies I was in full on labor. They came running out to the car with a wheel chair. They ran me up to labor and delivery and wheeled me into a room. People just started ripping my clothes off and getting me a gown. Nurses are yelling out "hurry she's going fast" "who's her Doctor and where is he?". Finally the head nurse came in and just yelled "everyone calm down." It literally was like and episode of ER, people were in a state of panic. They finally got me in my gown and got everyone settled down. The doctor called in and said he wanted to stop my labor. I was not really sure about that, and that was not what I thought was going to happen. They gave me tons of shots and IV's of stuff I have no idea what it was. They got the contractions to slow down and when they checked me she said she thought I was only at a 5-5 1/2. They sent me to see a perineonatalogist to do some ultrasounds. They basically did an extensive ultrasound to see how big the baby really was. It turned out his head and abdomen were still measuring 39 weeks. However his femur bone was only measuring 33 1/2 weeks. The doctor was convinced that I had gestational diabetes. I had not been tested for it because my doctor really felt like I did not have it. So we got back to the room and they decided they were not going to stop the labor but slow it down. They also proceeded to do numerous blood tests to see what was going on. They told me I would be there until I delivered, whether it was an hour or 2 weeks! They then had a doctor from the NICU come in and tell us what would happen when our baby was born. I think they have to tell you worst case scenario, just to cover all their bases. I admit it was very informative and helpful but scared the living daylight out of me. That night was REALLY long. In the morning they got all the test back, I did not have gestational diabetes. I also got a new nurse in the morning and she was fabulous!!! They checked me and I was at a full 7, the doctor said there wasn't anything else they could do so they were just going to let the labor progress. I FINALLY got my epidural!! I really don't know how women do it all natural, the contractions were so strong and painful! After that things started progressing pretty quickly. A couple of hours later I was wheeled into the delivery room that was attached to the recitation room. The doctor told me to push and 3 pushes later he was out. The doctor held him up and I started bawling. He was crying a little, but he was purple. I saw him for about 10 seconds then they took him into the other room. I could see through the glass and all I could see was about 7 nurses and doctors surrounding him and Kyle right behind him. Kyle came back in and said he was doing okay but he was having a hard time breathing. He gave me a kiss and I told him to go be with our son. I stayed in the delivery room and watched as they wheeled my son away. After I was done they wheeled me back into my original room and the nurse told me she would be back in a little bit after the epidural wore off. I sat there in complete silence and all by myself. "Had that really just happened? Had I really just given birth to a little boy?" I hadn't got to see him, I didn't get to hold him it just all felt very surreal. I just started to cry.
They got me cleaned up, got me some lunch, and switched to a different room. Kyle came in to give me a quick report on the baby. He weighed 6 lbs. 14 oz and was 20 inches long. They had tried putting surfactant down his lungs to expand them, but it had not worked great. They had to put him on a ventilator. He was also having blood pressure issues, they could not get it stabilize. His blood sugar was also 15 when he was born.I was super anxious to go up and see him. We tried once but we got up there and they had him completely covered up and were putting a line through his ambilical cord. So they told us to come back later. Finally at about 7:00 PM we were able to go up and see him. I admit it was a little hard to see him the first time. He had so many tubes and IV's coming out of him. He just looked so little and fragile. It was pretty emotional, but I was just so happy to see him. Kyle and I both agreed that he definitely looked like a McKay, so we gave him the name of McKay Jordan Ford. Jordan is my mom's maiden name, my grandparents on that side also had all girls so no one to carry on the name. For me he had a little tough guy look on his face and he fit the name McKay perfectly. One of the hardest things was to see him like that and not be able to hold him, it was literally heart breaking for both Kyle and I to not even be able to hold him. You could hold his hand but that was about it.
We are so grateful that he is here and that he is somewhat healthy. We feel truly blessed with the doctors and nurses that are taking care of him. Someone is watching him 24 hours of a day. It was a long ride home coming home with out a baby in the back seat. They told us to expect his due date for when he could come home, that is about 6 weeks. We are hopeful it is shorter but are trying not to get our hopes up to high. A big thank you to everyone who has sent prayers and thoughts his way. Kyle and I both are overwhelmed with the amount of love and support we have received from everyone.
I also have been completely overwhelmed with love for my husband. I have seen him in a new light and am amazed at his strength. I could not ask for anyone who is more supportive, optimistic and patient. He has been my rock through this all and has calmed me down with each emotional break down. I love him so much and my love for him has only grown this whole ordeal. He is an amazing husband and father and I am truly blessed to have him in my life.

9 comments:

The Watsons said...

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing good. You are an amazing family and you will make it through this! I can't wait to see you guys! Call me when you can, I would love to talk to you!

Cami said...

You wrote that so well, i am holding back the tears. I can't image how hard it was to come home without your little guy. You are a great mom and little Mckay is lucky to have you. Thanks for letting us take Carson. He and Cohen are having lots of fun!

Unknown said...

wow! what a story! I left robert in the hospital (only for a day) and it was the hardest thing i've ever done. I can't imagine how you feel. What a special boy for your family. He's so lucky to have you as parents!

Michelle Kelly said...

He's such a cute nephew and so strong. It was so neat to be able to go see him down in the NICU and to be on the "the list". I hope he continues to get better faster each week.

Kaye said...

He's a fighter, as you said, and how special it will be when McKay does come home. You can have the biggest celebration ever! Your mom and Lori and I have each been through the experience of coming home from the hospital with no baby, all three of those experiences with different outcomes, but in each and every case we all knew the Lord was watching over us and our families and that everything that happened was part of a larger plan. We are blessed to have that knowledge as an anchor. Can't wait to meet McKay this summer!

Kent and Heidi said...

I'm bawling! That is an amazing story! You must seriously be tuffer than nails! He really does look very good and healthy for a 33 weeker. I hope you are doing well recovering and know that I'm thinking of you! Also I LOVE the name Mckay! Good choice!

Janae said...

Love the posts. Josie is doing much better. Call me and I'll take the kids for you. Hang in there!

Gayle J. Randall said...

Dear Valerie:

I had read the post but had not commented. I'm sorry. We can see the Lord's hand in your life guiding all that happens to little McKay. He is a special little boy in many ways and our family is so fortunate to have him. I can already tell that you and Kyle have learned so much that the Lord has to teach you. What a great opportunity to feel His land in your life and the lives of your children. There is a bigger plan at work here. This experience will help you learn to recognize and follow promptings from the Spirit. Love, Mom

Sheena said...

I am so glad that he is doing better! We will continue to pray for you guys and little McKay!