Wednesday, September 1, 2010

We survived

I am happy to report we survived the month of August and appointments. It ended up being 9 total appointments for McKay! Yes it was physically and emotionally exhausting for all of us!
We had a few more Kids on the Move appointments that went well. I am so grateful that we are able to have them come out and help. They have such great ideas and are always such a good support system.
We added a visit to the ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) specialist. McKay is tongue tied. (Follow the link for details). So after talking to numerous people we took him to the ENT that Kyle saw for his surgery. He said he could easily fix it, but he would need to do it in a hospital as an outpatient surgery. We most likely will be doing it in the next few weeks. I am still a little nervous because I keep getting conflicting opinions, plus I am incredibly indecisive. But it would help with his eating and when the time comes his speech.
We also saw an Orthopedic Surgeon up at Primary Children's. We had about 5 different things that we were seeing him for. But he actually knocked off 4 of them and saw no concern. The one that he kept on is Scoliosis. The Physical Therapist that we see was a little concerned he had scoliosis. So after talking to a few more doctors they felt like we should see someone about it. The Ortho surgeon that we saw was not sure if he did have it or not. He said he wants to give him time for his muscles to help fix and correct it. So we will see him again in 6 months and go from there.
Our big appointment this month was his MRI. The past couple of weeks we were pretty concerned after he starting showing some signs that he might have developed hydrocephalus (again follow the link for details). So we were even more anxious and nervous than before for the MRI. It was pretty rough watching them having to put the IV in McKay. I hated to see him held down like that and I had so many flashbacks of awful times in the NICU. But he calmed down after they were done and went right to sleep with the medicine. They even said he slept the whole MRI so that was good. After a long day of waiting we were finally able to get the results from our Pediatrician. We found out he does not have Hydrocephalus, so that is a relief. However he did have some abnormal readings with the MRI. It's really hard to tell how it will affect him because he is so young. They want to give him more time for his brain to develop. He will have a repeat MRI when he is around 2 years old and we should hopefully have a better idea of things. In the mean time we are going to start seeing a Neurologist up at Primarys' at well (yeah, another specialist). We asked lots of questions to our Pediatrician and a lot of them he did not have the answers for. He told us, he is having a hard time knowing what to say because he has NEVER had a patient like McKay.
I admit I was a little upset because it was not the outcome I was hoping for from the MRI. I wanted more answers, I wanted more ways to help McKay. Instead I got more things to be worried about and more "just have to wait and see"answers. But after an amazing talk with my husband (I truly have been blessed beyond measure with Kyle and his love, patience and understanding). He explained we just have to accept the fact that no one is going to be able to fix all of McKay's problems. The best we can do is tackle one small thing at a time. Even if the list of problems and concerns seems never ending. We have NO IDEA what the future holds for our little baby. That is one of the parts I am struggling with the most, I really have never been very good with the unknown.

But all we will do is love him.
We will celebrate every little tiny milestone that he does.
We will tell him that no matter what it will all be okay.
We will enjoy our life and our family time together.
We will love this little blessing that is a part of our lives.

6 comments:

Lyns said...

We are always keeping your family in our prayers! Mckay is SUCH a sweet little guy and he is so lucky to have such a wonderful family! (As are you lucky to have him I'm sure). :) I think you have the right attitude and we just wish you the best with everything! It was so good to see you!

Lisa Riddle said...

You have such a good attitude. I wish all the best for you.

T Fowler said...

You are amazing. McKay is amazing. Hang in there! Remember that we are praying for your family. We love you!

Abe and Emily Durfee said...

Valerie! I got an e-mail from my mom saying that we should fast for McKay this past Sunday because of all the tests. I invited my roommates to fast with me if they wanted and they did. Kaitlyn, Victoria and I faster for little Mckay this Sunday and I know that things will be alright in the end. You found out something things that he doesn't have which is wonderful! It brought tears to my eyes that some things are unknown and can be very scary but the Lord knows whats going to happen in the future. Remember that the Lord will not give you trials that you can't overcome. He's there for you always! We'll keep praying for McKay. I'll put his name on the prayer roll at the Manti Temple when I go next. I love you guys! If you need anything, just let me know!

Gayle J. Randall said...

I'm late with my post, but I just want to say that I see so many blessings coming to your family because of McKay. They come packaged right along with all of the challenges, but the end of your post says it all. You have learned so much and will continue to learn each and every day with McKay. You have our fervent prayers always and our fasting whenever it is needed.

Halvos said...

Wow Valerie! That is a lot to swallow! McKay is so lucky to have you & Kyle! You guys are amazing and we will definitely keep you guys in our prayers! I hope you get more answers sooner than later. Love you!