It started last Tuesday when McKay woke up with a super goopy runny nose. Instantly fear struck me. (Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to not freak out over a runny nose). It slowly got a little worse and an Wednesday I decided to take him in.
If it was either one of my other two kids there is no way I would have taken them in. He had a very low fever of 100 and just a runny nose. But with McKay, just about anything turns into a big deal.
The doctor took a look at him and said what I had been dreading most... RSV. Surprisingly I took it okay. However when our doctor said " He is lucky he got the Syngagis shots, they literally just saved his life." I did not do okay after I heard that and started thinking about all the what if's. So he said he was pretty hopeful he would not have to be admitted and it would be a mild case. He sent us on our way and gave us a prescription for the suction clinic at AF Hospital.
Friday I got a call from Carson's school that he had smashed his finger while playing on the scooters for PE. They said he wanted me to come get him early. By the time I got there his finger was purple on both sides and very swollen.
Saturday McKay's oxygen gets down to 91, if it gets to 90 they will admit us. Late Saturday night Carson comes into our room with violent diarrhea and throwing up. He spends the night in and out of our bed and bathroom. Tossing and turning for the 3 of us.
Sunday Carson breaks out in a fever, we spend the day watching movies, going to the hospital a couple of times, and trying to catch up on some sleep.
Monday the respiratory therapist at the hospital voice there concern that McKay might have a sinus infection as well. Call the pediatrician and they call in a prescription. That evening Brynnley starts violently throwing up. By late evening she can't keep anything down, even a sip of water. Her fever is 103 and she can't keep medicine down. Kyle makes a desperate call to a friend we know that is a doctor, to see what to do and if we need to go in. She sleeps in our bed, more tossing and turning.
Tuesday I pick up Carson from school and his finger still looks pretty bad, I decide to take him into the Doctor on my way to take McKay to get suctioned. The doctor says he needs and x-ray. We head to the hospital for an x-ray and to have McKay suctioned.
Today I got the call from the pediatrician about Carson. He broke his finger, pretty bad. But the most exciting part is he broke it right in a growth plate, so we now get to see and orthopedic hand specialist! Just what I need is one more specialist!
The good news is the throwing up has stopped. McKay is on the mend and slowly his oxygen levels are climbing back up. He is only have to go to the hospital about once a day to get suctioned out. Carson is not complaining about his finger at all, he thinks its pretty cool to show his friends how blue and purple it is.
So to sum it all up:
2 pediatrician visits, as well as 1 call in
11 visits to the hospital for suctioning
22 loads of laundry
12 baths
2 band aids (my hands started bleeding because I have been washing them so much)
1 lysol wipes containers used
1 bottle of motrin used
1 bottle of hand sanitizer used
My mother in law asked me yesterday "Do you just get tired of it all?" Oddly enough, I have hit my wall and it doesn't upset me as much as it use to.
While I was sitting at the pediatrician and he mentioned an x ray I responded with okay, shrugged it off and got ready to leave. A year ago if the word X ray and one of my kids was mentioned in the same sentence it would have warranted a freak out. Most of it doesn't phase me as much anymore. It is a little sad we have become so desensitized but at the same time it is nice to have a sense of calm.
Here's hoping to a little bit of a calmer week!
6 comments:
They say that time helps you put challenges in perspective. I think the "time" you need to put things in perspective gets shorter and shorter all the time. You are stronger than you have ever been. I see it. I hope you do. I am proud of you!
I am so sorry! Wow! Why do things always seem to happen all at once? Hope everyone is on the mend.
(((HUGS))) One thing after another . . . . I hope things start looking up!
wow, when it rains it pours. I'm so sorry all of that happened at once. Poor Carson, he's a tough little guy and same with McKay.
You are amazing. Serious.
Oh my goodness; any one of those things alone may have sent me over the edge but all in one week? You are an amazing mom to hold it all together!! I'm continually inspired by you and the grace with which you handle life's challenges. Here's hoping next week is a little less eventful!
Post a Comment