Sunday, October 14, 2012

Now I can therapy-Week one

 We started McKay's therapy last Tuesday. Monday was just an evaluation so we were only there for an hour. Tuesday we woke up bright and early and headed to Provo. McKay goes for four hours from 8-12, every day, 5 days a week for 3 weeks straight. I started to cry on the way down there while I was driving just out of pure fear and the thought that he had no idea what he was in for. He look so happy in these picture, pre therapy. My hope is that I will have this picture of McKay in the stroller when he starts and one of him standing in front when we are done. But we'll see!
I am happy to report the therapy is going very well! The first two days were the hardest but it is getting  better each day. The first day McKay cried for 2 hours straight with no crying. I cried along with him.
Each day he cries less and less and let's the therapist work his muscles without screaming. They have amazing wonderful therapists there that are really good with McKay. Just in a week I can see he has gained some strength. They have been working on using a walker with him and walking with assistance. On Thursday and Friday they had him do "laps" around the place with him only holding on to the therapist with one hand!
On Friday the therapist was able to get him to take two "falling" steps three times in a row! It is a huge accomplishment for McKay. It breaks my heart to see how hard he is working. Every step he takes looks hard and challenging for him. But he is being strong and I can see it in his eyes he is determined. I am anxious for the next two weeks  and to see what they hold for us.

Here are a couple of videos I took throughout the weeks. They are just from my I phone so not the best quality. Also they are from the parent room window that I sit in. But I have to crouch below the window to take the video. McKay has a REALLY hard time any time he even catches a glimpse of me. 


2 comments:

The Blackham3 said...

Val, I am crying watching this. He is doing so well. I LOVE him :) WAY TO GO McKay!!!!

Emily and Seth said...

Yay! Great job McKay! And great job you, Val. You are a strong mother.