Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Literally the worst two weeks ever...

So it all started on Friday April 27th.   
Brynn got pink eye in both eyes and had a little bit of a cold. We luckily had drops from when she had pink eye in February so immediately started her on those (I despise pink eye, I feel like once it gets in your house it takes months to really get rid of!)


Tuesday the 1st McKay started to get a cold and started a fever. Never a good sign for him, I was hopeful it wouldn't turn into much. Did I mention hopeful.  I also started to get a little bit of a cold. 

Wednesday the 2nd McKay gets pink eye in both eyes and cold is worsening. His cough starts to sound like pneumonia.
Thursday we take McKay in to the doctor, pink eye in both eyes and Pneumonia (on 2 antibiotics)
Friday I can't shake the cold I have and the whole right side of my face is just aching. I go into the Doctor, sinus infection and double ear infection for me.

Sunday Kyle's mild cold gets worse and he can barely get out of bed, his ear starts hurting too.
Monday, Brynn sleeps in until 9 (never a normal sign), around 11 she says her tummy hurts and she starts a fever. I go to put McKay down for his nap and he just cries and whimpers. I go in after a little bit and he is on fire again, (his fever had been down to 101 Saturday and Sunday), he is 102.6. His breathing sounds weird to me so I check his oxygen. He's in the high 80's. He is shivering and has lost color in his legs. I quickly scoop him up and take him into the Dr. His fever was up to 103.9 when we got there, but his oxygen was a little better. (The doctor think he had a mucus plug in his lungs and that is why his oxygen was so low). His oxygen was still in the low 90's and he was just laying there without much energy. The doctor listened to his chest again and said it sounded the same (not better not worse) he thinks he has a different more rare kind of Pneumonia. They give him an antibiotic shot and prescribe a new antibiotic. 
On the way to drop the prescription off Brynn starts saying her tummy hurts and she has fever eyes. I get her home and her fever is 102.9 She fell asleep at 3:45 in her bed and slept for about an hour and a half. McKay's fever was still holding at 103.9
Tuesday Kyle goes into the Doctor because he just isn't feeling better. He also has a double ear infection and walking Pneumonia. McKay has developed sever diaper rash from having diarrhea for a few days. He is bleeding and blistering and it is bright red like a hot iron was stuck on his bum!
Wednesday the 9th, McKay is still fevering. This is day 8 of fevers for him. I call the doctor and he is not sure what is going on. He sends us to the hospital to get a chest x-ray and bloodwork. Good news is everything came back fine, a small amount of pneumonia showed up. But nothing abnormal in the rest of the tests. The doctor said to keep watching him, if he was still fevering by Friday he would need to be admitted to see what was going on. Very luckily his fever broke Wednesday night! 

Thursday the 10th, Carson in the morning says he has a headache. He lays down for a little bit but insists he is better to go to school. His teacher calls us at about 2 and says he is burning up with a fever. We were up at Primary children's with McKay for a Neurosurgery appointment so Kelli went and picked him up for us. He slept for most of the afternoon. He woke up and was feeling better and wanted to eat. Fever peaked again he fell asleep and only woke up to throw up. He fevered all night and the next day, his right eye started to swell on Friday to, called the doctor and they said to just keep an eye on it. Saturday morning I went into his room to check on something and I see blood on the wall and his bed. He had been coughing up blood. We think it was just from a bloody nose or something because we never found the source of the blood and he was not complaining anything hurt. Still scary. His fever finally broke Saturday.

 So, awesome couple of weeks! To say that we are all ready to be healthy would be an understatement. 
Totals for the 2 weeks: 
Trips to the doctor: 4
Calls to the doctor: 4
Trips to the Pharmacy: 4
Trips to the grocery store for supplies (medicine, pedialite, juice): 2
Loads of laundry: 20
Lysol wipes used: 1 whole large Costco container
Trips to the hospital: 1

4 comments:

Keri Chappell said...

Oh my goodness, Val. When it rains, it pours, right? It is so tough to take care of the family when you yourself are ill. So happy those two weeks are over and sincerely hoping they never repeat themselves!!

Lyns said...

Ugh. I am so sorry. I had a few weeks just like this last year and remember blogging about it because I was so over it! I hope things are looking up now. Sometimes it feels like it's just one thing after another. (((HUGS))) and here's to better days!

T Fowler said...

It just never ends, does it?
I am so happy everyone is doing better. I wish I could have helped more.

Gayle J. Randall said...

What a challenging time! I think being a sick mother with sick children is the worst! It is so hard! You passed the test! Let's hope this test is a one-time event.