So I am not one of the people that likes to procrastinate getting flu shots for me and the kids (Kyle doesn't believe in flu shots for him, but he also doesn't get sick that often). I got my flu shot at my last OB appointment. I had an appointment for the kids at their pediatricians when they were doing their flu clinic in September. But the morning we were suppose to have our appointment Carson broke out in a fever. So I called the doctor and the lady told me not to come in and to just call sometime next week when I felt like coming in, no rush. So I called the next week and they told me they were out!! I was furious! I would have gone in the day after we were suppose to get them if I knew they were going to go that fast! So they told me to call October 15th. (I have already called three times, still nothing.) They also said they did not know if they were getting the H1N1 vaccine. I wanted to get this for my kids, mostly because they did have it this last year and it was not fun. (Staying inside for 5-7 days was a little killer). Plus with me being prego I don't want me or the kids to get it.
I checked the Health department in Provo. I called and they said they had it and to come down, it was an hour wait. I thought an hour, I can do an hour. Plus I found out that my OB was not sure he was getting it either so I needed to try and get it. So I piled the kids and some snacks in the stroller. It was not a one hour wait but at least a two hour wait with a line that went up and down and around the parking structure. I decided to wait it out. The kids did pretty good the first hour, then the snacks and distractions ran out.
I found out I could not get the shot for Carson like I wanted, he had to have the mist. I also found out I have to go back to get both of them another shot and mist.
So we finally get in after two hours, it's a mad house of crying kids, and moms inside. I decide to do get Carsons done first becase I knew he would have the hardest time. He had started crying 3 times before we even got in the building because he did not want a shot. So the lady told me to hold him down. He starts screaming bloody murder and flinging his body all around. Luckily, it was loud in the room, so probably only half of the room is looking. I'm trying to hold him down, but the belly is getting in the way a little and he is a strong 4 year old. He starts coughing and screaming so hard he is about to throw up. A mom standing nearby feels bad for me and trys to help me hold him and give him gum, didn't help much (But very sweet of her to help! I feel bad I didn't get to tell her thank you). Meanwhile the nurse says "You are going to need to calm him down." I think to myself sarcastically "Oh really, I thought this crying screaming child was just fine, I didn't realize this was a problem!" but I didn't say anything. Finally she gets it in, I tell Carson "Your all done", the nurse then tells me it has to go in both nostrils. So again we do the whole thing over, another mom comes to help hold him down.
Brynnley has no idea what is going on until that needle hits, then panic and pain hit and she starts crying and screaming. The crying and screaming when you wonder if they are going to ever take a breath. Well after 2 hours of standing and being hungry and trying to entertain kids, my emotions kick in. I start bawling!!! I hate to be doing this to my kids and feel so helpless and useless. The Nurse asks me if I am okay, I told her just please get mine done so I can get out of here. So I am bawling while she is giving me my shot. I know the whole room was starring at me "Who is this adult lady who is crying about a shot?" But I was too embarrassed to look up and see how many were actually starring. So I quickly grab the kids and we all run out crying. We make it to the car and are all able to compose ourselves. But then I think about doing it all again in a month and loose it again... Oh and the kids still have to get regular flu shots!
7 comments:
Oh my goodness. That is horrible. I waited one day too late also and now I'm waiting impatiently for both vaccines. Ugghhh. It will all be over soon and NONE of us better get the flu!
Yuck, that makes my expereience with Jake not seem nearly as bad.
What is the guideline to the shot verses the mist. Luke could maybe handle a shot but NO WAY could he do the mist. I had heard about the returning in a month. I'm not sure why the news doesn't let everyone know this. Also I heard they could give the flu shot and H1N1 shot at the same time. If so could you just get the flu shot when you return to the health department in a month?
oh val! I am soooo sorry, what a bad experience. Next time make Kyle take them! He deserves a chance to go through that too! hope you are doing better, please let me know if i can help in anyway!
Oh that is horrible, but at least you got it done. I feel for ya, however I am glad you blogged this, its a great read!! :)
Oh Valerie, how I feel your pain! That was so similar to our experience, except that we waited in the line for two house just to have them run out right before we got in! Grrr. I hate flu shots too and I completely understand every word you said. So sorry for your horrible day, but just know that probably every other mom in there was feeling the same way!
It was a horrible experience, but a great post! Someday you will laugh about all of this (but not today). I'm so sorry that it was such a bad experience. Good luck in a month! Maybe extra prayers will help. You'll have mine!
Post a Comment