Sorry, I know my posts are not very exciting right now. But I know a lot of people are still wanting updates. Sadly much our life right now revolves around the NICU so I don't have any other fun posts!
Sunday February 28th- I had told Kyle a few months ago when I started measuring early that I thought the baby might be coming early. I said "I'm fine with him being early as long as I am not in the hospital recovering on my birthday."
Well careful what you say, I was in the hospital on my birthday. But it was much better than recovering from giving birth. I was able to spend two feedings with McKay and I cherished all that time I had with him. I will admit, it had been our hope that we could have McKay home for my birthday, it was the only thing I wanted for my birthday. But he is not quite ready, and I don't want him home any sooner than he is ready!
They are STILL (yes, this is like the 5th time they have said this) concerned about his head size. So they are doing another ultrasound and this time they are going to send it up to Primary Children's to have a pediatric Neurologist look at it. They are going to keep his feedings at 3, 2 from breastfeeding and one from a bottle.
Monday March 1st-No results yet from the ultrasound. They are upping his feeding amount to 65 ML. He has been at 60 for a while and he is now older and bigger so they want to make sure he is getting enough. He did loose a little weight yesterday, although it could be from the diahretic they have him on, as it flushes out all fluids out of your body.
Tuesday March 2nd-They got the results from the brain ultrasound back today. It looks like at some point McKay had a small hemorrhage in his brain (a brain bleed). It is only suggestive though. They categorize brain bleeds from 1-4, if you have had a 1 or a 2 there is almost never any residual effect from it. They are calling his almost a one. They don't believe he should have any developmental problems from it. However they do want to do an MRI at some point to double check everything. They did tell us the only thing that is really keeping him in the hospital is his feedings. So if he can get that down he can go home.
Wednesday March 3rd- They want to try and up his feedings to 4 times a day tomorrow. That will include one set of feedings that are back to back (one right after another). They are going to have the Cardiologist (Dr. Judd) look at him on Thursday. They want her to check his hypertension and the flap. They also are checking with her to make sure he is okay heart wise to get circumcised and whether he will need antibiotics for it. They are having a Ear Nose and Throat specialist look at him this week as well. He does what is called "strider" when he breaths sometimes and most the time when he eats. It is kind of a squeaking noise when he eats. The doctor held her stethoscope over his trachea and could hear it through that. We also found out they want to do the MRI for his brain right before he is discharged.
Thursday March 4th-We got the okay for him to be circumcised, will probably happen tomorrow. The cardiologist did not come look at him, but will come do an evaluation right before he is discharged. Today was the first day of 4 feedings, went okay.
We did have the doctor sit down with us today. Apparently they found some things in his brain ultrasound that are pretty concerning. When they sent it up to Primary's the Neurologist up there found some areas they are concerned about. They are the wrong color, meaning that they were or are currently being deprived of the correct amount of blood. There could have been a a blockage at some time, or could have even been a baby stroke. Basically he has some areas of brain damage. They are not sure to the extent of how bad it is, that is why they want to do the MRI. They want him to be as close to his gestational due date as possible though. A premature brain looks different than a full term babies brain. The worst case scenario is that he has cerebral palsy, best case scenario is that it won't have any lasting effects. It is in the areas that will affect his motor skills. The other things it could possible effect would be body temperature control, his metabolism (could be high or low), and his senses. They are hopeful they will be able to tell us a little more with the MRI. However we may not know much until the next year. They will have to see how he is developing and if he reaches his milestones at the correct pace. We are trying not to worry until we know more, and are trying to stay positive.
Friday March 5th-He got his circumcision done today and they said it went well. (I opted out of being there when they did it) He also did 4 feedings again today. His numbers were okay, but under the circumstances of the day that is to be expected. The Ear Nose and Throat specialist scoped his throat last night. The muscles behind his voice box are severely swollen and that is what is causing the strider. Usually they get swollen because of acid. They have diagnosed him with sever acid reflux (yeah another spitter!). But they put him on some medication that should help quite a bit.
Saturday March 6th- His circumcision looks good today, should be fully healed in a couple of days. He had 4 feedings today. His morning one went very well, he got a full feeding! The other three went well he got 75% of what he is suppose to. He also had 3 right in a row! They want to try tomorrow to put him "on demand" feeding. I will go and stay at the hospital for a 12 hour stretch and will feed him whenever he wakes up, instead of when we wake him up every 3 hours. I hope it goes well, if it does he will be able to come home really soon!
6 comments:
I'm so glad you were able to update. I am thinking of you guys all of the time! I am constantly wanting to call you, but I know how busy you are. Just know if you ever need to talk, I will drop EVERYHING when you call. :) I am always praying for little Mckay to come out with the best case scenario. He is SOOOO lucky to have you and Kyle as parents. You are wonderful people that will do anything and everything for their kids. We miss you guys so much and really wish that we were closer! Looking forward to more updates!
Such great news about his feedings! I hope all continues to go well and he can be home soon.
Thank you so much for the updates! Even though we talk frequently, it's good to see them all in one place. Your "fun" blog posts will resume, soon--have no fear. Until then, this is your family history and I'm so glad that you're taking time to document it. Our prayers and fasting are with McKay and his family at home. We are trying to stay optimistic and hopeful, too. Our Heavenly Father loves you, and so do we! "And it came to pass . . ."
Glad to hear the feeding went well yesterday, hope the 12 hour day goes well today! We are always thinking and praying for you guys. We love you.
Your little family is so strong. I admire the positive attitude that you maintain in the small triumphs. I can't even imagine how hard things have been for your family. Know that tears are okay. We are thinking about you and praying for you often.
Post a Comment