Some people have asked me what the kids think about McKay and all of his special needs and medical problems. I usually respond with "They haven't said anything and I don't know if they know he is special." Kyle and I felt like it was time to talk to the kids about McKay and his condition, as well as other kids out there with special needs. I think Carson was becoming more aware that McKay was not doing what other kids were.
I was INCREDIBLY nervous for this talk. Not because I was sad or upset or mad, but just scared. I was really worried I would burst out into uncontrollable tears and I knew that would only make the kids think I was sad about McKay or that it was something really bad. So I was so grateful when the afternoon before Kyle asked me if I wanted him to handle the conversation. A huge relief.
We both were there having an open discussion as a family, but things always go better with Kyle the "amazing communicator" is tackling something. We really didn't go into much detail about McKay. But we just wanted to let them know what was going on and that McKay was special and would have some special needs. I wanted them to know why he goes to the doctor so much and why so many therapist come over. The first thing Carson said after we started was "What's wrong with McKay?" I love that his little heart is so concerned for his brother. I hope and pray that he continues to be protective over his brother.
It went well and though I'm sure they didn't get most of what we were saying I think some of it sunk in. I am sure it will be a talk we have numerous times in the future and this won't be the only time.
I was touched when Brynnley said the closing prayer afterward and in her prayer she said "and please bless McKay that he doesn't get sick". For a 3 year old, I think she was listening pretty well.
Oh, and I am happy to report I did not break down in tears. I did the day before and the day of, but not that evening!
2 comments:
Both of your children will be McKay's greatest champions! This little angel boy in your family is teaching all of you how to be more like our Savior. What a blessing!
I am happy this conversation went well for your family. I'm convinced that kids know and understand how to handle these things better than most adults. Sounds like your kids do.
Post a Comment