
So I can still remember very well (which is remarkable because I have a horrible memory) our 2
nd Christmas that Kyle and I spent together. We were living in an apartment at the time in
Bluffdale. We were not going to make it out to see Kyle's family so they had sent their gifts here. Kyle opened a gift and as he opened it he got so quiet and started to get a little emotional. I was caught off guard
because Kyle is not overly emotional (I can count on one hand the times I have seen him cry. Ask me about the time in the hospital though
because it is hilarious!) He pulled this red plate out of the box. I thought it was a nice pretty plate but I was missing the meaning. He then told me how it was a family tradition that one person got to use the red plate at meal time when something special or big happened for that person. Like when you gave a talk at church, the first day of school, getting an A on a test, or getting good grades, Birthdays, and Fathers and Mothers day. I LOVED the idea. So we have been using our red plate for the past few years and I love getting it out. The kids are starting to pick up on the meaning as well. I pulled it out for Kyle a few weeks ago when he sold a huge account, the biggest
account he has sold yet with his new job. It will be used today for Carson, he gave an awesome talk in church today.
It's something small, but it makes you feel special. I am so happy to be carrying this
tradition on in our home.
3 comments:
That is such a creative idea! I want to use it when we have kids! :)
I heard of that idea when you were little. I wish I had done it! So simple, yet so profound! It really does make someone feel special. I'm so glad you're carrying on the tradition!
We have a blue plate at our house. I haven't used it in awhile, because I forget. Plus, Kate sets the table and everybody's place changes each night according to her whims!
Good job on the talk, Carson
Post a Comment